BOXING superstar, Charles Manyuchi confirmed receiving gifts from Phillip Chiyangwa and others for his success in the ring with Colombian Jose Agustin Julio Feria earlier this month.
Individuals and companies are queuing up with varying offers ranging from residential stands, cars and cash to reward the pugilist.
The World Boxing Council (WBC) silver welterweight champion produced a devastating performance to knock out the South American in 2 minutes and 42 seconds of the first round in a WBC-sanctioned non-title fight.
It was a great performance by Manyuchi, who was fighting in a major bout in front of his home supporters for the first time.
Details on the exact amount that Manyuchi got from the fight have not been made public, but the 26-year-old said that he has started receiving the gifts that were pledged by some individuals and the business community following the victory.
Notable pledges that were made on the night came from Harare businessmen, Philip Chiyangwa and another well-wisher only identified as Munyaradzi, who promised Manyuchi residential stands.
Motor-mouth, Wicknell Chivayo also promised the pugilist “some United States dollars,” and a car. Chivayo promised to give Manyuchi money to build a house on the piece of land Chiyangwa had pledged.
Manyuchi yesterday confirmed Chiyangwa and Munyaradzi had fulfilled their pledges by giving him land in Harare’s low residential areas.
“Chiyangwa gave me a residential stand measuring 1 225 square metres in Borrowdale. He called me a few days after the fight and he showed me the land, and all the paperwork is done. I have the title deeds as we speak,” the elated boxer said.
“Munyaradzi also gave me a residential stand in Westgate measuring 1 200 square metres and a new car. There are also others, who made their pledges, but are yet to deliver. I know they will keep their promises. I’m happy for these gestures and it should be an encouragement to other upcoming sportspeople that if they work hard, they get rewarded.”
Manyuchi, who received $50 000 from President Robert Mugabe last year, has also enjoyed massive financial support from his principal sponsor, Mr T35, while the City of Harare has also promised him another low-density residential stand, which he is set to receive this week.
But Manyuchi could lose out on more potential pickings with reports that his rematch against Russian boxer, Dmitry Mikhaylenko for the WBC silver welterweight title on November 18 has been cancelled.
Media reports from the European country show that Mikhaylenko has agreed to fight 42-year-old former champion, American Randall Bailey in a 12-round non-title fight.
This has been confirmed by the WBC on their official website for upcoming bouts.
A boxing website, boxingscene.com, yesterday wrote: “It’s been officially announced that Russian welterweight contender, Dmitry Mikhaylenko (21-1,9 KOs) has signed a contract to step in the ring with feared American puncher and former world champion in two weight categories Randall Bailey (46-9,39 KOs). The showdown will be held on November 18 in Yekaterinburg and will be the main event of a show being organised by the promoting company Titov Boxing Promotions.”